In the framework of World Day Against AIDS, December 1, we share the Decalogue of recommendations for the early detection of HIV infection by international experts.
The infection causes a progressive deterioration of the immune system and reduces the body's ability to combat some infections and other diseases. In the most advanced stages of HIV infection (human imunodeficiency virus) AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome), which is defined by the appearance of one or more opportunistic infections or cancers of more than 20 possible.
As global patient associations affirm "Prevention is where you are still failing", As well as the early diagnosis of the virus. As a result, the development of those 10 points.
1. HIV tests must be encouraged to promote the diagnosis precocious and decrease the number of people not identified.
2. Although it exists tests fast and from I recommend it, the definitive diagnosis is only established in specialized laboratories.
3. The test must be voluntary, trustworthy, with the conscious consent of the person to whom it becomes, and accessible to the entire population.
4. It can be requested in the I ask from any doctor. It is also done in some pharmacies and in NGOs.
5. The test is obligatory In some cases, as gifts of blood or organs, people who enter a program of techniques of assisted human reproduction, and obtain and receive seed.
6. The proof must always be offered to women pregnant, people in prisons, and all between 20 and 59 years of age sexually active.
7. It is advisable to carry out the test in humans that may have been exposed to HIV by contacting some body fluids of an infected person (blood, semen and pre-semi-fluid, vaginal and rectangular secretions and breast milk), and to those who show signs or symptoms of infections and tumors that are usually associated with HIV.
8. negative result does not exclude a fresh infection (in the last two weeks to three months according to the test), so if there was a risk of exposure in that period, it is necessary to repeat the HIV test at 2-4 weeks and after three months.
9. If the result of the test is positive, it is necessary to confirm it, in which case it will be necessary to complete analyzes to determine the stage of the HIV infection and to begin the treatment antiretroviral.
10. If HIV-infection is confirmed, antiretroviral treatment must be started early because it manages to hold the virus undetectable, increases the defenses, improves the quality of life and almost impedes the possibility of transmitting infection to other people.