New Delhi: A short circuit took place near the emergency department of All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) on Saturday, prompting authorities to close an emergency laboratory while the area was swallowed by smoke. An officer said 39 fire camps were pressed into service.
Patients from some floors of the AB room, near the Microbiology department, where it burned around 5 o'clock, were evacuated along with those in operating theaters over it as the smoke spread, they said, adding that the fire was burning within two hours. hours.
Delhi Fire Services Director Vipin Kental said the reason for the fire is still unclear. "Four to five people were inside the building at the time of the fire," Kental told CNN News18. He added that the fire on the second floor was under control during efforts to continue the fire on the third floor. Cooling operations work, according to reports.
The fire broke out in the PC block of the hospital, which is a non-patient area and mainly houses doctors' rooms and research laboratories. However, AIIMS imagery suggests excusing patients. The electricity supply was also suspended in the building. Initial reports suggest that a ignition triggered the fire while some electrical work was done in the laboratory over the past few days.
A Delhi Fire Services officer said they received a call of fire on the hospital's Computer and Teaching Block around 5 o'clock, and 22 fire tenders were immediately dispatched to contain it.
Former finance minister Arun Jaitley is admitted to the cardiac neuralgia intensive care unit (ICU), which is housed in a different building in the complex.
Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal assured the people that the burning would be brought under control and asked the people to remain calm.
The fire in an AIIMS building will be subcontracted at the earliest. Fire service is trying its best to put out the fire. I call on everyone to keep calm and allow firefighters to do their job.
– Arvind Kejriwal (@ArvindKejriwal) August 17, 2019
In March of this year, a fire broke out on the ground floor of the hospital's Trauma Center near one of the operating theaters. The patients had to be transferred to another section and others were evacuated as the smoke swallowed the floor.
(With PTI inputs)
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox – subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com onwards Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and YouTube, and learn about what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to commanded market data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at a price of 3 months. Use code BOOK.